Sunday, April 1, 2018

First Interview: Sebastian DeLeon

On Monday, March 26th, I completed my first interview. This time, it was with the surviving patient of the brain eating amoeba that is the focus of this documentary excerpt: Sebastian DeLeon. Now, before filming, I had arrived at his house at around 2 PM and began filming around 4PM...real productive, I know. However, since Sebastian is a friend of mine, we spent the extra time we had on our hands discussing what my vision for this documentary was really supposed to be. I believe that having this conversation beforehand was actually crucial in keeping Sebastian levelheaded and clear-minded during the course of the interview. 

Since I do not have a camera setup of my own, I had asked a friend of mine to lend me his camera in order to film the visuals of the documentary. So while I was chatting up Sebastian, I began to toy around with this camera, sort of getting the feel for it before putting it to use. As for the setup, I'm really happy with how the interview came out. I was originally really concerned with the lighting, but luckily, right before we began to film, a cloud actually came and blocked some of the bright sunlight, providing a much cleaner image. Also, I was also borrowing that same friend's tripod. However, I have had plenty of experience with tripods before so it was a piece of cake to set it up, and the framing of the image looked beautiful, with DeLeon sitting comfortably in the Upper Left third with just enough head room.

All in all, the interview went really smoothly and it had just what I was looking for in my interviews. It had also been a long time since I was truly behind a camera and it felt really good just to get back into the rhythm of the film-making process.

No comments:

Post a Comment