Tuesday, April 3, 2018

Why looking ahead is important

Last week, I was supposed to film my final interview with two people that were with Sebastian when he first came into contact with the parasite. Unfortunately, due to uncontrollable circumstances,that interview was not able to happen. So, we decided to move it to Tuesday of this week and do it right after school. 

All went well and there weren't any problems with getting the interview set up. Everything was running smoothly. However, a few minutes into the interview, it dawned on me that I wouldn't be using a single clip from this interview in the final piece. I realized that I was digressing too far from the central topic of the documentary. Rather than focusing on the disease itself, I was placing too much emphasis on Sebastian's story, which is only really meant to be more of a personal anecdote about the disease and the rare possibility of curing it rather than a full narrative. With this in mind, I thanked the interviewees for their time and, once home, got to work reorganizing the excerpt in my head, this time placing extreme focus on the disease itself.

Going beyond the documentary itself, I want to complete the poster and website within two days, hopefully by Friday, in order to give myself a lot of breathing room for editing the film piece. The overall focus and tone of the poster and websites will be outlined in a later blog post. 

No comments:

Post a Comment