Sunday, March 4, 2018

First Draft of Ideas

This blog post will be to show what directions I seem to be going when it comes to brainstorming possible topics for my documentary excerpt.

Here is what I have come up with so far:
  • Riding a bike for the first time as a teenager*
  • Does prom matter?
  • When a group that is recognized as a minority in a country becomes the majority within an area
  • Impact of the suburban life on young minds once they are thrown into the real world
  • Going from a "normal" household to a monoparental home**
  • Becoming a doctor in America, despite already being recognized as a doctor in another country
  • Drugs at Cypress Bay High School
  • Growing up with no family near you***
  • Day in the life of a Cypress Bay security guard****
*This topic may or may not remain on this list. I wanted to do a sort of cute "taking your first steps" experience with someone that is more grown up. The documentary would follow my friend Nacho and his experiences with riding a bike for the first time. However, I recently became aware that he would be moving back to Argentina soon. As I do not know when this may be, I will likely have to discount this idea early on.
**This topic offers a lot of possibilities as it is one of the more versatile options on this list. I could do this documentary as a sort of case study on the experiences that my sister and family had when this came about their lives and how it impacted them. I could also likely take a bunch of research and slip it in the piece to sort of support the overall experience of my family as well as the experiences documented and studied by professionals.
***Not direct relatives. I mean like grandparents, uncles and cousins. That sort of deal. Living without any family is really much more of a tragedy than I prefer to outline in a piece.
****I would like to do this piece in a sort of humorous, "Michael Moore"-esque fashion. I would follow a bunch of security guards around school and instead of mostly asking them questions about their jobs, I would like to focus on the types of lives they lead outside of the workplace. It really is a unique idea because it is not something most students really think about when they bump into one of these guards within their every day lives.

This is only a rough draft of my various ideas. I plan to narrow them down and refine those that are left in order to reach a final decision on my documentary's topic.


No comments:

Post a Comment