Sunday, March 11, 2018

Tricky Ideas

Well, its been a rather busy week when it comes to reaching a final decision on what to do my documentary on. At the beginning of the week, I was able to chat with a few of my fellow Media Studies classmates on what they thought I should do. However, the next big step I took in developing a plan for an entire documentary TV series would not come from a fellow classmate, rather an old friend, Santiago, or "Santi".

Now, I have been good friends with Santi for a while now so he definitely knows just how much this project means to me as well as my future endeavors. So when he suggested that I make a documentary about his friend group, I knew not to take it lightly. We had been talking awhile about making a sort of "mockumentary" about our whole friend group. But when Santi suggested that we make the video more serious, it really started to seem like it might actually be possible to make this more like a legitimate documentary.
So as we finish up talking about our idea, 7th period rolls around--my media studies period.

During the class, my class is being called up to talk about an practice essay we had written the week before. When I come up, my essay is relatively unedited, so there wasn't really much to discuss there. As a result of this freed up time, I decided to ask my teacher, Mrs. Stoklosa, about the possibility of making this documentary. To my surprise, the result was not an immediate denial. I think my teacher saw just how passionate I was for the topic so she instead suggested a small change to the main idea of the video.

Since the prompt was meant for a TV series, Mrs. Stoklosa suggested that I make the prompt something broader: something that a wider range people could be interested in. As a result, together we formed the main idea that this documentary about friendships would be shaped around: How teenagers form a sense of collective identity.

No comments:

Post a Comment